Confessin' The Blues 2LP Volume 1
BMG & UNIVERSAL PRESENT CONFESSIN’ THE BLUES.
ORIGINAL BLUES MASTERPIECES HAND-PICKED AND
CURATED IN COLLABORATION WITH THE ROLLING STONES
DONATION TO WILLIE DIXON’S BLUES HEAVEN FOUNDATION
COVER ARTWORK BY RONNIE WOOD
“If you don't know the blues... there's no point in picking up the guitar and playing rock and roll or any other form of popular music.” – Keith Richards
As well as being the biggest band in the world, The Rolling Stones are also the biggest champions of the blues, so who better to curate a compilation in collaboration with BMG and Universal, of the music that inspired them throughout their career?
Confessin’ The Blues collects together the greatest bluesmen ever and provides a perfect education to the genre. The tracklisting on the various formats have been chosen by The Rolling Stones, in collaboration with BMG and Universal and will be released on BMG on November 9.
The Rolling Stones have long been supporters of the Blues from before the start of their career right through to their latest album, Blue & Lonesome which featured their interpretations of the classics, many of which appear in their original versions here on Confessin’ The Blues. Mick Jagger was an early fan of the Blues: “The first Muddy Waters album that was really popular was Muddy Waters at Newport, which was the first album I ever bought”.
As such big supporters of the genre, the band and BMG/Universal have decided that 10% of BMG’s net receipts* from the sale of this album will be donated to Willie Dixon’s Blues Heaven Foundation (Registered as a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organisation in the United States).
Confessin’ The Blues includes tracks by the biggest Blues pioneers including Howlin’ Wolf, John Lee Hooker, Elmore James, Muddy Waters, Chuck Berry, Big Bill Broonzy and Robert Johnson. All of these artists had an impact on the nascent Rolling Stones, be they influencing Keith’s guitar licks or Mick’s vocals and lyrics. As Ronnie Wood says: “That’s how Mick and Keith first got close as well, on the train coming back from college. They noticed each other’s record collection and it was, “Hey, you’ve got Muddy Waters. You must be a good guy, let’s form a band”.
1. Muddy Waters - Rollin’ Stone
2. Howlin’ Wolf - Little Red Rooster
3. Elmore James w/ Sonny Boy Williamson II - Dust My Broom
4. Slim Harpo - I’m A King Bee
5. Bo Diddley - You Can’t Judge A Book By Its Cover
6. Chuck Berry - Little Queenie
1. John Lee Hooker - Boogie Chillen
2. Little Walter - I Hate To See You Go
3. Jimmy Reed - Bright Lights, Big City
4. Robert Johnson - Love In Vain Blues
5. Mississippi Fred McDowell - You Gotta Move
1. Howlin’ Wolf - Just Like I Treat You
2. Eddie Taylor - Ride ’Em On Down
3. Little Walter - Blue And Lonesome
4. Lightnin’ Slim - Hoodoo Blues
5. Bo Diddley - Crawdad
1. Little Walter - Just Your Fool
2. Magic Sam - All Your Love
3. Big Maceo - Worried Life Blues
4. Amos Milburn - Down The Road Apiece
5. Jay McShann & Walter Brown - Confessin’ The Blues
10% of BMG’s Net Receipts* from the sale of this album with a minimum of £1.25 UK pounds sterling will be donated to Willie Dixon’s Blues Heaven Foundation (registered as a 501 (c) (3) non-profit organization in the United States).
*The charitable donation is calculated on Net Receipts being amounts equal to monies actually received by BMG from the sale of this album after deductions of credits for returns and VAT (or similar sales tax).